On the 29th of November 2011, I represented the python perspective at the Google Technology User Group debate, the Battle of the Backends, which pitted Python against Ruby-on-Rails and Node.js for web development.
The debate was held at Google’s European HQ at Barrow St, Dublin.
The video from the debate is available on GTUGs youtube channel: the python segment begins after 20 minutes.
I’m happy to announce that jython finally supports Internationalized Domain Names.
I am delighted to announce that jython is IPV6 ready: the future of internet addressing is fully supported.
I’m delighted to report that PyCon Ireland 2010, the first ever python language conference in Ireland, was a great success! Over 100 people came, attended two dozen talks and tutorials in three tracks, and participated in sprints and open-spaces.
I’m writing this post in response to a challenge. I wrote a post entitled Jython on Google AppEngine: Why bother?, which was a reply to a statement made by a Google engineer about not seeing the point of running jython on AppEngine. And a similar statement was repeated in a comment on that blog post (i.e. “the gist of what I intended to say was that while it was possible to run Jython on App Engine, I couldn’t think why you’d want to.”)
So rather than get into a back-and-forth of yes-it-is-no-it-isnt-yes-it-is, I thought I’d reply with some simple code that demonstrates something that cannot (currently) be done in cpython on AppEngine, but is easy with jython on AppEngine: XSLT transforms.
A few years ago, as an aide to python web programers, I compiled a database of open source HTTP proxies written in python, which became surprisingly popular.
So I’ve decided to expand the database to encompass the other language that I regularly use, java, and publish a database of open source HTTP proxies written in java.
A fantastic thing happened today: Jython 2.5 was released! I’ve anticipated this day a long time, as have many others; it’s great that it’s finally happened.
As you can see from our last blog post, we were delighted to get jython WSGI applications running on Google AppEngine for java using modjy. We promised in that we’d write a tutorial on how to do do that.
So, after the announcement by Google that their AppEngine could run other JVM languages, including jython, I had to have a go at getting modjy, our jython WSGI to java servlet bridge, running on it.